Looks like this event has already ended.
Check out upcoming events by this organizer, or organize your very own event.
Saturday, May 14, 2011 at 10:00 PM (EDT)
Durham, United States
The Veldt: www.last.fm/music/The+Veldt
fell just short of being an anathema in the Chapel Hill indie rock
scene of the early '90s. Sounding and looking nothing like the striped
shirt contingent of Superchunk, Polvo, or Archers of Loaf,
the band was more at home with the likes of England's dream pop bands.
They were predominantly black, an unfortunate mark against them. What
could be more natural than black men playing rock & roll? Keep the
atmosphere of the Cocteau Twins and A.R. Kane, add some aggression and more prominent guitars -- that was the Veldt. They were influenced by Echo & the Bunnymen just as much as Jimi Hendrix and Prince,
adding discernible lyrics and upping the emotional power where most
bands of their ilk shied from the microphone, burying their vocals in
Somewhat fittingly, the band received their warmest response while touring in the U.K with the Cocteau Twins. The textured guitars went over well, and concertgoers were more than happy to see a band who could sound layered and emote vocally at the same time. As the well-worn cliché goes, this didn't translate across the ocean.
When & Where
The Pinhook has become Durham’s premiere venue for live music, excellent DJ’s, basic chilling, and collaborative creative events. Here’s what we got:
- Weekends of Musical Mayhem- featuring the best bands from The Triangle, North Carolina, and well beyond.
- Weeknight Monthlies like Open Mics, Open Jams, Karaoke, Trivia, and DJ sets.
- THE GREATEST BAR STAFF IN THE UNIVERSE!
- Pool, Tekken, Ms. Pac-Man, Galaga, Backgammon, Scrabble, etc. (and people with whom to play these games)
- CHEAP. DRINKS. $3 Tallboys, $2 PBR, $1.50 Schlitz, $4 Well Drinks Monday-Wednesday.
- Nightly specials – the perfect way to make cheap drinks even cheaper.
- A PATIO OUT BACK! OUR PATIO IS SO AWESOME. I LOVE YOU, PATIO.
But the most important thing we have is YOU. The Pinhook is YOUR place. We believe that communities thrive when there is a public place for their citizens to be themselves, whether on stage or on a barstool, relaxing or rocking out. For Durham and the Triangle, the Pinhook is that place.
You gotta make your own fun in life, but we’re here to help.